Tuesday, March 30, 2010

visit with the easter bunny...

today, we met up with our north side girls (holla!) and kids in order to visit and take pics with the big-headed bunny. so after the mabster and big B's dance class, we headed over to brookwood village around 11:15am where karla maria and keri were waiting for us. the rugrats were all dressed up cutely and excited. we walk up with absolutely no line, fill in our information, and shazam, the pics are snapped.

the girls did great although it displays how unsure the toshy was about him. she'd cut her eyes and look at his big ole melon of a head and just stare at it. i'm honestly surprised that the camera lady even got a shot of her headed looking forward. because seriously, she could not figure him out. so cute. i love that kid. that said, i think cousin carson's picture with the easter bunny is my absolute most favorite. according to his mommy, "Carson is so unpredictable. He was playing peek-a-boo and giggling with the Easter bunny earlier... and then I get THIS pic. Ha ha ha, kids are a riot! His senior yearbook better watch out!!" teeheehee. good stuff. here are the pics...after laughing at each other's pictures, we decided to sit down and eat lunch at the food court. every thing was going great until i sit down and realize that karla maria's gone. within seconds, YB screams and points, "oh my god, that little girl is choking!!" i jump up and run toward the crowd circled around her. KM said that throughout it all, one guy stands up and says, "i'm CPR certified, let me help!" (performs baby back blows) then another lady said, "i'm in nursing school, let me help!" (again performing baby back blows), and then KM says, "i'm a nurse, give her to me!" so they did. the poor little girl is about 6-7 years old, and now KM has started the appropriately correct heimlich maneuver. within seconds, she spits up a whole chicken nugget.

ya'll. i'm not gonna lie. after returning to our table and looking around at my kids, my nerves were shot. believe me, i'm not trying to knock the people who tried to help because in all honesty, it's a highly intense situation and given the moment even though you know the correct method, your brain is in panic mode. thankfully, nurse KM was there to stay cool, calm, and collected. because if it were my own kid, i'd most likely fuh-reak out with baby back blows too. i'm just sayin'. remember that bit of info, people. it'll save a life. someone cue in the fray lyrics. it deems fitting. here are pics of us pre-shocked from chain of events...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT PICTURES!! well holy cow...what a day huh? thank goodness for karla...can i put her in my pocket and take her everywhere we go...you know just incase

~~amy

Karla said...

Dude, now when I hear Carson coughing while eating I freak out! I can now say I've successfully performed the Heimlich on an adult AND child now, but I don't ever want to have to do it again!! That lil girl was BLUE, scary.
I enjoyed the day with you girls. Hello, Spring!

Anonymous said...

good job, karla! did you put her on your knee and do the back blows or was she too big? for some reason i can do it on an adult and i can do it on a baby but the in-between... i'd have to gauge it in the moment.
did the momma thank you and offer to pay for your lunch? if not... ingrate!

Karla said...

Karmie (I believe that was Karmie),
I picked her up from behind and placed my fist right where it's supposed to be and just thrusted her forward three good, hard times. Some lady behind me was beating the crap out of her with back blows. I felt soemthing give on the 2nd thrust and said "is it out? Is it out??" and everyone started looking at the floor and there was a HUGE, long chicken tender on the floor. The girl had ALOT of hair and I pulled it back and her color started coming back and she was breathing. The mom was just sitting there speechless, bawling crying. I picked the girl up and gave her to her Mom and she was just holding her for the next 30 minutes. The Mom and Gma told me thank you repeatedly and they kept on looking over at me. I was shaking afterwards b/c I thought she was so close to going unresponsive - she was choking for what seemed like FOREVER! After almost 6 years of nursing, I finally saved a life OUTSIDE the hopsital ... damn, it feels good to be a gangsta! haha, you know what I mean. ;oP
Thanks ya'll for the shout-out. I love you guys.

Anonymous said...

that's awesome, karla! RN on duty, britches. make way for the real deal.
-karmie
p.s. that was my comment. how'd you know?

Heather S. said...

What kind of fancy glowing stroller is CJ in? ;)

Karla said...

Karmie, I can sense you a mile away... even on the internet.