Thursday, July 8, 2010

first kiss

over this past weekend while at the lake, the mabster received her first kiss from a friend. i didn't see it, but as soon as it happened, she ran over to me and whispered, "mommy, aidan just gave me a kiss." i whispered back, "oh really?" and then she said, "he's going to marry me." right then and there, i was struck speechless. my heart melted. my heart panicked a bit. so innocent, so young, and yet disney has filled her sweet little head with the notion that once you kiss, you're automatically getting married. it's a fairy tale world out there, right?

wrong.

so i tried to talk with her on her level by of course using a disney scenario. fight disney with disney, i say. i proceeded to tell her that, "abby, you will kiss a lot of frogs before you finally kiss and marry your prince...when you're mommy's age. okay?"

her response: "but mommy, i'm not tiana." (from disney's princess and the frog)

doh. i'm at a loss. i'd have to say that this was one of my first parenting befuddlements. i've got a long road ahead of me when it comes to teaching her to protect her heart and that boys will come and go, but one fine day (when she's 30), the perfect gentlemen (aka prince) will come along and sweep her off her feet.

because some times in ordinary life, fairy tales really do come true.

again, when you're 30. got that, mabster?

2 comments:

Overthinking Mama said...

i remember my first kiss.. i was 5 or 6 maybe...
but i didnt want to marry the boy.. i wanted to keep my options open...
i guess i didnt watch enough disney movies back then..

ps. im a new follower! :-)

God Bless
<3
otm

*Yankee Belle* said...

Mabster & A sitting in a tree...k-i-s-s-i-n-g....